The Coastal Kayak Fishing School
The Coastal Kayak Fishing School was first developed in 1994 to lay a foundation for entry level kayak anglers. It eventually grew to help veteran kayak anglers by dialing in specific species, reducing gear loss and ruin, learning about forecasting ocean conditions and more. The CKF Schools are structured to lay a foundation for fishing your favorite waters safely, effectively and economically.
The CKF Schools meet on the Sonoma Coast, Bodega and Tomales Bays fishing for lingcod/rockfish, salmon, flatfishes and more. This easy instructional session eliminates much of the first few years of trial and error that normally accompanies the self-learning process for entry level kayak anglers. The Schools are comprehensive while allowing anglers to experience successful kayak fishing from the start. We harness what you know about fishing and show you all the tricks, tips and secrets we can fit in a day. While many people who fish the class are accomplished anglers, we eagerly offer basic fishing instruction for novice anglers too.
This is just a portion of the “curriculum”:
- Onshore instruction with “better than basic” kayak skills, safety, gear, rigging, tackle and techniques for open-deck kayak fishing
- How to select and outfit the best new or used fishing kayak model to best suit each individual’s particular needs and budget with guide support down the road
- Surf Zone Skills
- Live bait applications including procurement, storage and transportation plus cut bait, artificial lures and light tackle fishing applications
- Self Rescue
- Understanding “When, Where and How” to target the fish you seek
- Use and applications for Electronics/Sonar – Permanent and portable fishfinders; GPS and Radios
- Specie specific tips and techniques for striped bass, white sea bass, halibut, salmon and and sturgeon as needed. From trout to tuna, please let your guide know about your special interests well in advance.
We get started on the beach for lessons on the kayaks and gear, move onto the water for a few more lessons and merge into the fishing day.
For most anglers, a day with a Kayakfishing.com Guide is the only formal instruction you’ll ever need to grow into a lifetime of quality fishing with your kayak.
What to bring:
The Coastal Kayak Fishing Schools are fully outfitted, just bring your fishing license.
If you already have a kayak, bring ALL your gear with you and we’ll sort it out on the beach. Likewise with fishing gear and tackle. Anglers are welcome to BYORods, terminal tackle and bait is provided for fishing and lunch is supplied by your guide. The day starts early with onshore instruction followed by a beach launch. A few more lessons on the water and a lot of fishing.
The first of its kind, a handful of CKF Guides and Pro-Staffers have been improving this program for over 20 years with the sole mission of laying a foundation for catching fish without ruining and losing your gear in the process”.
FRESHWATER: Contact us for details about freshwater schools on Lake Sonoma and select Nor Cal lakes meeting a few times a year.