This is a great trip intended for both anglers and outdoor enthusiasts looking for a unique experience in a pristine coastal setting. Day Trips are easy, informative and a lot of fun. Most days produce more fish released than retained, always with an impressive catch.
Day Trips meet 45 minutes north of Bodega Bay near Fort Ross and at Bodega Bay. Guides review the kayaks and gear, rods and tackle on the beach. A quick paddling lesson precedes a usually calm water launch and a short 10-15 minute paddle to the fishing grounds. Targeting lingcod and a variety of rockfish including vermillion (“reds”), black and blue rockfish, greenling, cabezon, coppers and more, we target salmon too when they show.
Trip duration is generally 5-6 hours with 2- 4 guests per guide.
Reservations with 3 or more guests run private and last longer, weather permitting. Please call for larger groups.
Tandem fishing kayaks are available by request and suitable for 2 adults or one adult/one youth.
Lingcod/Rockfish Special Trip Fares:
- $199 per person, 2 guest minimum **Kayak, gear, rod, tackle and bait included
- $249.00 Solo w/Guide **Kayak, gear, rod, tackle and bait included
- $299 2 Guests/tandem kayak **Kayak, gear, rod, tackle and bait included
- $175 per person, BYOKayak, rod and bait, 2 guest minimum – **Basic Tackle is included
**Bag Limits-Vary by species-10 fish from the rockfish complex plus non-rockfish complex species. Bring a small cooler for fillets, a larger one for whole fish.
- Fishing License-Easy purchase info is included in the Trip Confirmation email, One-day License is $15.12. Guests over 15 years old are required to have a fishing license. Licenses must be in possession while fishing and transporting your catch.
- There is an occasional bait/tackle fee of up to $15 per person, when we use/lose more than usual, collected at the end of the trip.
- Optional surfsuit/booty rental is $7-$20 from Northern Lights Surfshop. Rental info is included in the Trip Confirmation. Rentals are delivered to the beach.
- Day-use parking is $10 per vehicle.
A Trip Confirmation with detailed trip information, directions, guide contact info and a list of stuff to bring (mostly cloths and sundry items) is emailed when trip dates are set. Guests can always contact a guide by phone, text and email leading up to their trip.
Reschedules/Refunds-There are plenty of great days to fish and while most trips go off as planned, a few require rescheduling due to poor ocean conditions. Even in the summer months. We can usually forecast high swell or wind conditions 3-5 days in advance so guests with longer commutes don’t make a dry run. All “tourist angler” reservations (guests from beyond the SF Bay Area), cancelled by the guide due to ocean conditions, are fully refundable. Most trips are reserved with a deposit.
“CKF Schools”-We see a lot of anglers who choose the Trip Special over the CKF School and ultimately return to fish again. We strongly suggest hardcore anglers and those hell bent on entering the sport consider the more comprehensive Coastal Kayak Fishing School (est.1995). The rate is$295 pp for 2 anglers with one guide (we’ll hook-up the second guest if needed), $465 solo. CKF Schools run April through December. This is a longer, extremely detailed session intended for kayak anglers entering the sport, or in their first few seasons, and veteran anglers new to the fishery. Participation prior to making purchases for the sport is long proven to save anglers money and get them on the fish faster. Trip duration is generally 6-8 hours. Feel free to contact a guide for more information.