"A logical, economical first step for entering the sport."
The Coastal Kayak Fishing School was first developed in 1994 to lay a foundation for entry level kayak anglers. It eventually grew to help veteran kayak anglers too by dialing in specific species, reducing gear loss and ruin, learning about forecasting ocean conditions and the bite and more. The CKF Schools are structured to teach you how to fish your favorite waters safely, effectively and economically. With newfound ease and access, kayak fishing becomes a lifestyle. For many, maybe most folks, fishing is no longer the hobby we grew up on.
The CKF Schools meet on the Sonoma Coast, Bodega and Tomales Bays fishing for lingcod/rockfish, salmon, flatfishes and more. This easy instructional session eliminates much of the first few years of trial and error that normally accompanies the self-learning process for entry level kayak anglers. The Schools are comprehensive while allowing anglers to experience successful kayak fishing from the start. We harness what you know about fishing and show you all the tricks, tips and secrets we can fit in a day. While many people who fish the class are accomplished anglers, we eagerly offer basic fishing instruction for novice anglers too.
This is just a portion of the “curriculum”:
- Onshore instruction with “Better than basic” kayak skills, safety, gear, rigging, tackle and techniques for open-deck kayak fishing
- How to select and outfit the best new or used fishing kayak model to best suit each individual’s particular needs and budget
- Surf Zone Skills
- Live bait applications including procurement, storage and transportation plus cut bait, artificial lures and light tackle fishing applications
- Self Rescue
- Understanding “When, Where and How” to target the fish you seek
- Use and applications for Electronics/Sonar – Permanent and portable fishfinders; GPS and Radios
- Anglers receive a copy of The Kayak Fishing Video (DVD) to review before we meet and years of free technical support from the Coastal Kayak Fishing Guides, if and when you ever need it, with a simple phone call.
- Specie specific tips and techniques for striped bass, white sea bass, halibut, salmon and and sturgeon as needed. From trout to tuna, please let your guide know about your special interests well in advance.
We get started on the beach for lessons on the kayaks and gear, move onto the water for a few more lessons and merge into the fishing day.
For most anglers, a day with a Kayakfishing.com Guide is the only formal instruction you’ll ever need to grow into a lifetime of quality fishing with your kayak.
What to bring:
The Coastal Kayak Fishing Schools are fully outfitted, just bring your fishing license.
If you already have a kayak, bring ALL your gear with you and we’ll sort it out on the beach. A tackle pack and bait is provided for fishing and lunch is supplied by your guide. The day starts early with plenty of onshore instruction, a beach launch, a few more on the water lessons then fishing.
The first of its kind, a handful of CKF Guides and Pro-Staffers have been improving this program for almost 20 years.
NOTE: Contact us for details about freshwater schools on Sonoma Lake and “flatwater” schools meeting a few times a year.